Once a classic road racing circuit behind the Iron Curtain, today's Sachsenring has been transformed into a modern arena where the world's best motorcycle riders can once more do battle in front of an enthusiastic crowd.
The origins began in the mid-1920s, when two locals took on the task of organising races on the roads around the Saxony town of Hohenstein-Ernstthal. Sepp Wagner and Paul Berger had been inspired by other early motorcycle races in the area, including the Marienberg races which had begun a few years early. Despite some opposition from the locals, the pair formed a motorbike and by 1927 were ready to host racing.
A four-sided course, known as the Badberg Quadrangle, was laid out on public roads from Hohenstein-Ernstthal, running north parallel to the A4 autobahn until it turned back and headed south to the Queckenberg corner to complete the lap. The 8.618km course had a little of everything; flat out blasts, fast curves, slow hairpins, a run between the houses and alleyways of the town itself and considerable elevation changes as it wound out into the countryside.